Monday, September 29, 2008

A Trip To Mohegan

This weekend I went with the family to Mohegan Sun to play some recreational poker. What I mean by that is I probably only had about 2 hours to play and the rest was filled with family time at the slots or food court.

Their new poker room was an expansion of their old wing where most of the craps tables were. As far as the renovation goes, they did a good job. The new slot machines glowed nicely in the dark decor along with the highlighted walls and embedded waterfalls.

I played the 1/2 NLH, where of course the players lived up to their name with poor play by calling too much and over committing their stacks on a draw or single pair. Overall, I was happy with my play, and walked away a small winner. I was only sorry that I did not get any action on my monster hands, but that's how it goes in poker.

While at the table I pulled some of my usual antics:

I ordered my usual drink, and one of these internet youngins turned to me and said:
"Vodka on the rocks?"
"Yup."
"...on the rocks?"
I nodded, "I work with a couple of Russians, and picked up some good habits." ("Heh," I thought.)
He paused, and then turned to the waitress: Coffee - black! His younger internet friend seemed to me to give him an approving glare, as if I'm the sucker at the table. Whatever. Now, I know just as anyone else that if you are serious about poker then one shouldn't drink alcohol at the table - would you drink on the job (don't answer that). But, at the same time any one who enjoys the taste of a drink straight up knows that it gets diluted by the ice in the glass, thus losing it's flavor and strength - I don't expect any young kid to think about that!

Interestingly, about 8 out of 10 hands whenever this kid to my left raised or called a hand, so did his younger counterpart. I felt that they were protecting one another in entered pots, and used this extra knowledge against them by entering into pots along with them while holding either a monster or monster draws. By end of day it was me up by 3 and them at 1.

I am going to try to make it to Mohegan at least twice a month as the games there are very soft and predictable. I am sure the fam will want to come as well, so I am going to have to make some adjustments in the schedule to log longer hours at the tables.

No comments: