Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Game Back/Making Reads

Besides getting my feet wet over at CakePoker, I'm paying attention to reads. I've lost $$$ when I had a read and knew not to call, but called anyway. Now I have to make sure I make some $$$ doing the opposite.

Here's some Cake for you:

Usually, I would not raise here, but after his all-in he didn't have enough to get me out of the pot. I felt I may be beat here, but was crazy about my 4's and felt like gambling.

CakePoker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button ($2)
IkeepIt (SB) ($5.50)
BB ($2.80)
UTG ($16.43)
MP ($2)
CO ($2.90)

Preflop: IkeepIt is SB with K4

2 folds, CO bets $0.35,1 fold, IkeepIt calls $0.30, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.80) 8, J, 4 (2 players)
IkeepIt checks, CO bets $0.40, IkeepIt raises to $1, CO raises to $2.55 (All-In), IkeepIt calls $1.55
Turn: ($5.90) 7 (2 players, 1 all-in)
River: ($5.90) K (2 players, 1 all-in)
Total pot: $5.90 Rake: $0.25
Results in white below:
IkeepIt had K , 4 (two pair,Kings and fours). CO mucked J A (one pair, Jacks).
Outcome: IkeepIt won $5.65

***

Button was weak and very fishy. His call had me somewhat concerned. I made a bad read on him before when he got lucky on me. Despite his position his raise told me he had two pair or better. To raise on this street at this level, usually indicates a very strong hand, especially after the check on the flop.

***

CalePoker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

IkeepIt (UTG) ($7.80)
MP ($11.27)
CO ($7.38)
Button ($5.65)
SB ($2.16)
BB ($10)

Preflop: IkeepIt is UTG with 10, A
IkeepIt calls $0.10, MP bets $0.40, 1 fold, Button calls $0.40, 2 folds, IkeepIt calls $0.30
Flop: ($1.35) 6, 4, J (3 players)
IkeepIt checks, MP checks, Button checks
Turn: ($1.35) 5 (3 players)
IkeepIt checks, MP bets $0.70, Button raises to $1.40, IkeepIt folds, 1 fold

Total pot: $2.75 | Rake: $0.10
Results:
Button didn't show
Outcome: Button won $2.65

***

After this player raised me, and then just called my bet on the flop I was convinced he was trying to push me out with some random hand, which a lot of players try to do at this level. His call told me he missed the board and had some over pair or weak Ace combo. I was real surprised he called my shove and almost shocked at what he was holding.

Cake Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.20 BB (6 handed) - Cake-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

IkeepIt (BB) ($10)
UTG ($6.46)
MP ($19)
CO ($9.67)
Button ($14.10)
SB ($26.12)

Preflop
: IkeepIt is BB with J, A
3 folds, Button calls $0.20, 1 fold, IkeepIt bets $0.90, Button raises to $1.60, IkeepIt calls $0.70
Flop: ($3.30) 5, 6, 6 (2 players)
IkeepIt bets $1.60, Button calls $1.60
Turn: ($6.50) 10 (2 players)
IkeepIt raises to $6.80 (All-In), Button calls $6.80
River: ($20.10) 4 (2 players, 1 all-in)
Total pot: $20.10 | Rake: $1

Results in white below:
Button had 2, A (one pair, sixes).
IkeepIt had J, A
(one pair, sixes).

Outcome: IkeepIt won $19.10


***

Cake has this nice feature that gives you a visual of hands. Visually aesthetic, but not as functional as the above format. (There is a converter out there that let me change the format from the default cake output in order to display hands in the more widely accepted internet format.)


I've played with the above player a few times before and he likes to push. His over-raise was indicative of a weak hand and trying to take advantage of a scary board. My all-in, probably translated the same to him. When he called I hoped he did not catch whatever high card he may have.

***

There is not much difference between this level or up a few levels after. I've made these plays before as high as .50/1NL. The trick here is not to play the hero often and to keep the pots controlled, so as to not run into big decisions for a significant portion of your stack.

No comments: