Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Book Reading

From my father's side I have a thirst for knowledge, from my mother's I am gifted with intuition. In combination, these two assets compliment one another and help excel my poker game.

***

Books have always fascinated me. At a younger age, I would stare almost in awe at the two towers of book shelves in my Uncle's house. Deep inside I knew the books contained a wealth of knowledge. But, being a late bloomer I ironically hated to read.

From my Uncle, I learned how to read the Forward and Introduction of a book; how to pick up a book and skim through it to see if the book appeals to me; how to interact with a book and jot down my own notes, and highlight important points. This all stems from casual conversations and indirect influence.

***

If you think about it reading and writing are the same action; they are two opposite ends of a common spectrum.

***

I've picked up 3 new books lately (non-poker), but I expect in the end they will help me with my game. Also, I've renewed my dedication to a few books that I've half read and have planned to read (some poker/some non).

***
Some notes on my phone, from some poker book:

"A good player will rarely fold on the river to a large call after the turn."

"At 15-20 BB you are looking to re-steal from loose players rather than open raise."

Buzz words:
"the four points rule"
"stacks size"
"pot equity"
"folding equity"

I am sure that these notes came out of either of the two cash game books I have.

No comments: