Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Crouching Downswings, Embracing Tiger

Winning is welcomed with open arms, but a winning player must embrace loss with the same eagerness. Somewhere on 2+2, I've read that 20 BI losses are pretty much standard (I've even seen some argue against that). I myself have recently been a victim of such a threatening swing. Yet, I took it in stride. I'll make it back and it's not a concern.

Oft times I've thought about a player's immunity or callousness to the value of money - I see money as a tool, not as something to horde as a possession. As much as poker is touted by its proponents for being a game of skill, the truly successful poker player has a lot of gamble in him and does not play with scared money.

So do I care about losing? Well...of course I do! But it doesn't put me on tilt and does not make me question myself as a player or does not threaten my self worth. It's just the nature of the game, and if you are in this game then you have to accept the nature of the game totally and unconditionally.

3 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Good advice. When a player loses, it's easy for him to forget this!!

Memphis MOJO said...

Forgot this: Great title.

LP said...

ah...thx!