Monday, August 25, 2008

Empire City at Yonkers










So, getting beat by 3 key poker hands on Friday, I took a break and went to Empire City in Yonkers to 'relax' with video poker. I played Jacks or Better, and Deuces Wild. It was fun and not the least bit frustrating. I lost about $20, but that was expected. After all, it was video poker, and favored odds weren't expected.

Besides paying for drinks at the machines, I had to remind myself that I was in Yonkers. I mean, with the cheesy decor and the constant tumulose drone of the slot machines it would be hard for anyone to know they were not in AC. There was a live band accompanied by the embarrassing antics of drunk regulars on the dance floor; skimpy cocktail waitresses; aged one-armed bandits looking for the Big Score; young courters trying to impress their dates with implied high-roller status; regulars who think they know a thing or two about gambling, but their wins and losses balance out - that is where I would fit in, lol.

Hey, it's slots!

At any rate, it was the right medicine. A $40 investment, yielding a $20 loss in 3 hours is not bad in my book. I could of easily spent 3 fold more in a bar or resturant and not expect any +EV. In retrospect, it's kinda sick if you look at your spare time in profits and losses. Then again, isn't it a positive to say to yourself 'how did I benefit?' At least we are not cranking out some mindless justification for recreation.

No comments: